I really like twice baked potatoes. I think we made them one year for Thanksgiving at my parents’ house. So, when I came across a taco filled twice backed potato I knew it was a definite possibility.
4 baking potatoes , washed
1/2 cup sour cream
2-4 tbsp milk
1 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 lb taco meat (ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning.)
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Poke each potato a couple times with a fork, then bake for 1 – 1 1/4 hours (until tender.)
3. Let cool about 10 minutes, until cool enough to handle. We did this step while cooking the taco meat.
4. Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the middle stuff. Leave enough middle stuff so the shell still has enough structural integrity left to hold mixture.
5. Mash the potato with 1/2 cup sour cream and 3 tbsp milk. Then add 1 cup cheese and the taco meat.
6. Spoon the mixture back into the potato boats and cover the tops with cheese.
7. Return to the oven for another 20-25 minutes.
Verdict: They were amazing! We added a little salsa on top, which really pushed them over the top, I think. I definitely plan to do these again. The only problem with them is the timing. They have to happen on a day I have off, because we don’t have that kind of time for making dinner on a regular work day.